- Our Team
- Centers & INITIATIVES
- KNOWLEDGE CENTER
- MEDIA CENTER
- Member Login
- Contact Us
The Sustainable Development Goals lay out a clear vision for a sustainable future, representing an opportunity to shape a new era for responsible business. As part of our Making Global Goals Local Business work, each year the United Nations Global Compact celebrates a group of SDG Pioneers — business leaders who are doing an exceptional job to advance the Global Goals through the implementation of our Ten Principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. In our search for the 2020 cohort of SDG Pioneers, we encourage professionals working at any level of a UN Global Compact participating company who are leveraging a principles-based approach to set ambitious, scalable and impactful SDG targets to apply.
As part of the UN Global Compact SDG Pioneers 2020, the Global Compact Network India (GCNI) is searching for professionals who are committed to advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Through their own company or by mobilizing other businesses, SDG Pioneers help advance one or more of the Sustainable Development Goals while also contributing to business success.
The GCNI will award the Global Compact Network India SDG Pioneer 2020 at the local level. The selected participants will have the opportunity to participate in the final search of Global SDG Pioneers to be recognized during the UN General Assembly in September 2020, New York.
The SDG Pioneers 2020 campaign aims to recognize a combination of:
- C-suite leaders that have truly innovated their business strategies and operations to drive ambitious SDG targets, scale and impact across their companies
- Any employee working in a GC participating company who has driven such disruptive change and impact at scale across their organization
Why You Should Apply
- Local & Global Recognition - Special consideration will be given to Local Round winners in the selection process of the 2020 UN Global Compact SDG Pioneers. Other benefits include speaking opportunities at regional and global events.
- Employee engagement and recognition – The program provides companies with an opportunity to highlight how their employees are advancing the SDGs and are indeed next generation leaders.
- Enable change agents for the SDGs – Leadership in the 2030 era requires change agents, and the SDG Pioneers Program provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for professionals to push their vision forward within their organizations and create change.
Who Can Apply
- Professionals who are working at any level of a UN Global Compact Participant or Signatory company are eligible to apply or be nominated. To check whether an organization is a UN Global Compact Participant or Signatory company, please search the participant list online. If your company has yet to select its engagement tier, please see herefor more information and to select your engagement tier.
- For the 2020 SDG Pioneers, we only consider companies who were participants of the UN Global Compact on 30 September 2019 and have submitted at least 1 Communication on Progress (CoP). If your company joined after the date, please consider applying for the 2021 SDG Pioneers programme.
- Only applications from individuals working for UN Global Compact participating companies — Participants or Signatories that have submitted at least one Communication on Progress and were participants of the UN Global Compact on 30 September 2019 — are eligible to apply for the 2020 SDG Pioneers programme.
- The UN Global Compact reserves the right to remove the SDG Pioneer recognition if the company and/or individual is later deemed to be a reputational risk to the SDG Pioneer campaign and/or the UN Global Compact initiative.
- *No specified age limit in 2020 (e.g. not “35 and under” as last year), but younger applicants will be given special consideration—a “bonus point”— in our internal review methodology, the same way we do this to ensure diversity in company size and region.
National and Global Rounds
Global Compact Local Networks are hosting country-level SDG Pioneers programs this year to seek out individuals locally who will then compete in a global round. The country-level programs will take place from February to May 2020 before the global round, which will take place from June to September 2020.
Local Networks can only recognize 1 (one) SDG Pioneer who will continue to the Global Round.
The judging process for local rounds consists of an internal review and an external review. The internal review will be conducted by the Global Compact Network India based on pre-determined judging criteria by the UN Global Compact. Five successful candidates will be chosen from this step to move onto the external review.
This round of review will be conducted by an External Review Committee consisting of a government official, GCNI board members, and leaders from business, academia, and non-profit.
|What is Happening|
|February||Launch of local rounds|
|February 17 – April 15||Submission period|
|April 15 – May 3||Review process|
|May 3 – 21||Country winners announced|
|May 21 – July 21||Global submission|
|Mid-September – July 21||Review & selection|
|End of September||Announcement & recognition|
SDG Pioneers 2020
Day & Date :
Mon, 17th February, 2020